Friday, December 17, 2010

{Our New and Improved Bathroom}

Our bathroom is the first room David and I have ever totally designed together from top to bottom. We completely gutted it and redid the entire thing. We're happy with the results!

Here are some photos: before (left) and after (right).





Good riddance, I say, to the etched shower glass doors, honey builder grade cabinets,
mismatched hardware, and squiggly mirrors over the sink. We love the new look and
feel of this room.

On an eco-friendly note: We were able to sell several items from the old bathroom on
craigslist so they got reused in someone else's home instead of languishing in a second
time around shop with an uncertain future. I was so pleased to see people buy the
mirrors, shower doors, light fixture, hardware, and the entire vanity including the
counter, sinks and faucets. Plus, the new cabinets are bamboo, a sustainable material.

It only took us a year and a half to complete it. Ha! Many lessons learned, friends.
For example, hire someone to do tile that does tile (not just handywork) for a living so you
don't have to do it, in it's entirety, twice. And have a plan before you start gutting the room.
What can I say, we got a little ahead of ourselves. But that's all history now, and all I see
when I'm in this bathroom are calming colors and design in a very comfortable space.

Of course, we're not going to do all this work and then share three measly photos. So, here
are a few closer looks at the details ...









While we're on the topic of making your house a home and DIY projects, I want to share
orgjunkie.com and wanted to pass it forward.) What a totally cool resource filled with
tons of ideas and inspiration for entertaining, decorating, organizing, holidays, and DIY.
You're gonna want to bookmark this one. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Wow, it is gorgeous!! What an improvement! Very modern and chic, yet cozy too.

Miss M! said...

I love it! Especially the shower. I have to say though, I can't even fathom how you guys could not like those squiggly mirrors. LOL! I have never seen anything like that before. They're... interesting. :)

Adriana said...

I love the new look Sam! I have to agree with Miss M. in regards to the shower....I love it!!

Ale said...

Wow! it looks great!! I am sorry I missed to see the final product. You two did an amazing job and I am sure every time you are there, you enjoy it even more after all the wait!!

JENNY B said...

SAM! This turned out to be so gorgeous!!! Tiling is a bit of a back-breaker, isn't it??? LOVE everything!

Frameless Shower Door said...

Frameless shower doors are very economical to purchase and hence they can easily be purchased by the average people. They look very delicate and thin apparently and thus many people are afraid that they would easily break. However the fact is that they are much more strong, thick, and durable than the ordinary glass and this makes their maintenance easier.
Frameless Shower Door