even if the gold finishes, hardware and stain have run their course. That's why I decided to
give this piece a face lift. A new look and with it, a new life!
What I love is that this is a piece with a story. It was part of a bedroom set that belonged to
Mary's (D's stepmom) when she was young. She gave it to Sandy (D's mom) when the boys
were young because they needed some furniture for their room. Sandy gave it to us when we
first moved in together, and we have moved it across the country with us ever since. And
now it's ours. I'm so glad Mary and Sandy passed it on instead of just getting rid of it.
It's been great for extra storage over the last decade, but I'm tired of looking at it's
drabbiness. That's why I planned to start refinishing it as part of my goal for June.
I started by undressing the dresser ... you know, stripping off the old finishes. It feels so
good to have finally started this project. For one, I love having something to putz with in
the garage; a new hobby. But also, it's a project that I can work on for an hour here, an hour
there, and actually see the progress unfold. There's something very rewarding about working
with wood and my hands. I feel so calm when I'm out there ...
The dresser is completely and officially stripped!
I just finished the last two drawers yesterday. Next up:
* Sand it
* Come up with a plan for the new look
* Buy supplies
* Refinish with new varnish or paint
* Add new hardware and finishes
* Move back into the house
I'll post again when I've made some more progress. Hopefully with a finished product!