Monday, January 05, 2009

{Seven Pounds, A Mercy}

We talked about going to the Grand Canyon.
We talked about going to the Olive Mill.
We ended up eating at YC's Mongolian Grill, looking at
carpet, browsing at Barnes and Noble, and going to see
Seven Pounds.



Excellent movie -- nicely put together, very well acted.
I hope Will Smith gets a best actor nom for his role.
Rosario Dawson was also fantastic. If you go check it out,
bring tissues.

When we were at the book store, I picked up the latest
novel by the beautifully exquisite Toni Morrison.



I read Beloved in '07. It was truly mind changing. To say it's
an amazing story is to give it no justice. Clearly, I'm not alone
in that opinion. She received a Noble Peace Prize for those
pages, and now she has a new book out.



I bought this book on CD, which isn't something I'd normally
do. In fact, I think I've only rented a few books on tape, back
when you could still do that. Right now, I'm reading three
other books and have a couple in line behind them. Getting
this on CD will allow me to experience it sooner. I'm excited
to hear the novel in her voice, as it was written, and I hope
it has the side benefit of keeping me off my cell while driving.

I'm off to the vet...

4 comments:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I love Toni Morrison's books! I have read several, but have not yet read Beloved or A Mercy. I better put these on my list asap!

Anonymous said...

I really want to see 7 Pounds because I still can't figure out what it's about from the previews. I'm glad to read a good review. I hope I get the chance to see it.

I'm putting those books on my to-read list too!

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

yea, i'm with E...what the heck is it about? I didn't enjoy pursuit of happyness and this kind of looked the same...no?

glad you got a book on tape...love them!!!

Lindsay

Samara Link said...

I didn't like Pursuit of Happiness either. In fact, I was just telling David that very thing last night. This movie is not that -- not at all. The previews were a really tough tell. I actually thought they did a nice job of showing it's intensity without telling the whole story in the trailer. I didn't really want to see it until Jason and Barb saw it and told David it was really good. He's the one who wanted to watch it, and I'm glad he did. It was excellent. Excellent!