Tuesday, June 14, 2011

{Tasty Tuesday: Granola Three Ways}

I'm on a mission to make the perfect homemade granola.

Before I attempt my very own version, I thought I'd follow a few recipes from other, more
experienced bakers and cooks to get a hold of the process, what works and what doesn't.

First up ... Toasted Almond Granola found on Joy the Baker, adapted from Martha Stewart.
Her recipe includes, among other things, two kinds of almonds (sliced and whole), honey
and vanilla. It was so yummy and made a totally respectable granola. I cooked it for the
recommended time, but I think it was a little too much for my oven. I'll shave ten minutes
off the cooking time when I make it again. There were too many whole almonds in it for
David's taste, but I thought it was solid.




Second ... Granola Breakfast Bars by Barefoot Contessa. This version is very similar to
the first one up until the point that Ina added three dried fruits and turned them into
bars. I thought they were great! I personally prefer the loose granola for day-to-day
eating, but the bars are fun for when you have company, are traveling or you need to
take something to someone else's house. I mean, how fun would it be to pull these out
on a road trip? They were a little hard when I first cut them (largely, I think, because I
forgot to take them out of the oven right when the timer went off), but they softened
up perfectly after a day of being wrapped in parchment.



Third ... I tried Maple-Nut Granola from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine. It
was definitely the easiest granola of the three in my trial -- made with a more simplified
process and very basic ingredients. So, it took almost no time at all to put together, and
cleanup was a snap. That being said, it also had the least depth of flavor and texture. It
accomplished what granola is supposed to accomplish, but it didn't wow me. Eating it
didn't feel like a special experience, I guess. It would be a really good one to make with
kids though, and it could be easily elevated with more nuts, spices and dried fruit.


This was such a fun way to learn about making granola. Now that I've experimented with
the idea a few times, I think I'm ready to take a crack at creating my own original recipe.
I envision using all kinds of wonderful things like wheat germ, toasted pepitos, cashews,
dates, and more. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Julie said...

I grew up with homemade granola and I love it. My grandma always added flax seed, wheat germ, and sunflower seeds. Whenever I make a big batch for my family it disappears within a few days.

Ale said...

Hola!!

Love this post! so creative Sam! I like granola but don't make it. My friend Paty from FL sent me several bags and I still have some in the freezer. Her mom ads toasted pepitos, a ton of nuts, all kinds and raisins. My only note will be to keep in mind that granola could have a ton of sugar once you are done with the honey and dried fruit. Great job Sam! I will definitely want to try Sam's granola when you come up with your own.

Hugs.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

All three of those granola recipes sound wonderful, but the second one really has my mouth watering :) I wanted to invite you over to show off your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
Katie

Kim of Mo Betta said...

I've been searching for the perfect granola recipe...I think I'll try the first one soon!