Tuesday, April 19, 2011

{Tasty Tuesday: Chop Salad}

It's a good thing Pam, my SIL, likes to cook because she has a lot of mouths to feed.

Today, I want to share a salad she made when I visited them last fall. It's full of flavor and
crunchiness. Plus, it's filling and hearty. The kids loved it as much as the adults did. (Her
kids are good eaters.) She prepared it in advance. So, when we came home from a busy
day of play, it was all ready to assemble and eat.



I love meals that you can make ahead of time like this. I have energy from five to eight in
the morning that I don't always have from five to eight in the evening. It's so nice to do
this when I feel inspired early in the day.

Ingredients:
chicken breast
bacon or turkey bacon
eggs, hard boiled
lettuce
cheese
celery
red onion
scallions
cucumber
grape tomatoes
BBQ sauce
ranch (optional)
strips of tortilla chips (optional)


Clean the chicken and marinate it in BBQ sauce for half a day, if you have time for that.
Bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes, uncovered or grill it. Cook bacon according to package
directions. Crumble the bacon. Shred the chicken and add a little extra BBQ sauce to it.

Boil and dice your eggs. Shred cheese. Chop and clean veggies. (You can substitute
anything here.) Put each in their own bowl.

We're not big ranch dressing people but a little does make this salad kinda tasty. :)
It's all about the spicy barbecue sauce though. So, if you like heat, I totally encourage it.

Finally, assemble it and eat to your heart's content.

This is a good salad for the Link house since I'm a vegetarian and David isn't. The boiled
eggs give me protein, and he gets the extra kick of BBQ chicken and turkey bacon.

I'd love to hear what you think of it if you try it!
You can see more Tasty Tuesday ideas here ...

3 comments:

E Elliott said...

My husband loves a chopped salad and has been eating them like crazy lately. This looks so easy to do ahead of time I am just going to have to try it. Thanks!

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

Um, yum. That looks so so so so so so so good. I remember you had the perfect recipe for boiling an egg to perfection. What was it again? I tried to remember the other day and my egg was undercooked. Aboooo. I want to make this. Maybe tonight.

L

Ale said...

The bacon looks so good Sam! haha! I will try this recipe for sure, I have to write down the ingredients for my next weekend grocery shopping trip. Henry is going to love the BBQ chicken, looks really good!

Thanks for sharing!