Friday, March 11, 2011

{A Moment of Silence ... A Moment of Gratitude}

Days like today make me stop and think about how thankful I am for the normalcy in
my life and for the beings -- both people and animals -- that I'm lucky enough to love.

I can't imagine what the poor people in Japan have been going through for the last
12 hours
. The chaos and loss must be absolutely overwhelming, and sadly they have
only begun to deal with what will no doubt be a very long and layered recovery. My
heartfelt condolences go out to them. They're up against such a comprehensive
scene of devastation and loss.



Photo credit: Google Images

The human, structural and economic toll will be huge, of course. But this morning
as I watched the coverage from the safety of my living room, my three little fury
angels were snuggled up around me. I thought about all the helpless animals in that
country who didn't survive or how the ones that did are no doubt operating in fear
as they navigate the new circumstances under their feet.

It made me appreciate living in Arizona. Yes, our summers are insane and a little over
the top, but we don't have to contend with hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes
(at this time anyway). So, on a day-to-day basis, my four-legged friends are safe and
won't have to worry about their lives getting thrown into total chaos. Today, I'm
grateful for that. I hope their world is always this safe, comfortable and predictable.



2 comments:

Kristi said...

What a devastating earthquake, it is unimaginable what they're going through in Japan

Colleen said...

Well said. This has been a sad day.