Sunday, March 13, 2011

{Irish Music for Lads and Lasses}

It's amazing what music can do to put you back in touch with memories and to get
your foot bouncing and your head bobbing.

I went to see an Irish band last week. It was fun! It reminded me of our time in
Ireland, and I felt partially transported back to the pubs of Dublin. I say partially
because as I sat in a park in Chandler, the masses were not throwing back pints
and singing along with all the strength in their smoke addled lungs like they did
back in the land of green. There were no jigs danced or cigarettes being chain
smoked. (Ahh, Ireland. I do miss you.)

But the music and the energy of the band was really cool.



The band I saw was called the Knockabouts. They're from Flagstaff and they were
here as part of a City of Chandler Sonoran Sunset Concert Series. They were great.
They played two original pieces, written by members of the band that were excellent,
and then they played some old classics that I'd always hear in the pubs.













(For those of you who live in the east valley, the next concert in the park is April 14th
from 6PM-7PM. It's at Lindsay and Chandler Heights. I don't know what kind of music
they'll have, but it's a pretty park and it's fun to sit outside and take in whatever
entertainment the city arranges to throw your way.)

"For the good are always the merry,
Save for an evil chance,
And the merry love the fiddle,
And the merry love to dance."
- W.B. Yeats, "The Fiddler of Dooney"

Happy St. Patrick's Day Week!

1 comment:

carlene federer said...

Sounds fun Sam! And I love the quote!