Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dear Earth,

Today is a special day set aside to honor you. And boy, do you
deserve it. I hope you have a really good day and a lot of people
take a few extra minutes to pay you a good turn because it
will add up and make a difference if they do.

Thank you for all the amazing things you give us everyday,
without ever having to be asked. There's always air to breath
and sun to light our way thanks to you. You cover us up at night
with a blanket of snugly darkness. You keep all the necessary
elements in perfect check so every human and animal on you
can survive, and hopefully thrive. You go above and beyond
your call of duty, and you're the only one in the whole Universe
-- that we know of -- who does it.

And you keep doing it, even though sometimes we abuse you so
very much. You don't keep score though. You just keep on
plugging away. I worry that someday we'll have taken so much
from you, without giving enough back that you'll get tired and
have to take a break from giving us all the things you do. I hope
that doesn't happen because you are so important and too
beautiful and amazing to lose.

I'm really excited because today, for Earth Day, there's a new
movie coming out. It's called Earth, and I can't wait to see it.
It's only in theatres. David and I are going to the 7pm showing
tonight. He is usually in New Mexico in the middle of the week,
but he went early so he could be back for this! How nice is that?
Speaking of nice, the people at Disney who made the movie --
they're also going to plant a tree in honor of YOU for every
ticket bought during opening week. I know you've been really
busy taking care of all of us. So, just in case you didn't get to see
the trailer for it, I've included it here:




Also, I wanted to let you know that I planted some things in your
honor this past weekend! I'm willing my thumb to be green, even
though it really isn't.



I put my new Roma tomato and basil plants in containers for
now. Once I create a space for a garden, they'll go in there.
I'm hoping to get to that next month. As it gets hotter, I may
move the new aloe plant inside. I know this is such a small
thing, but it's something that will hopefully take a little bit
of pressure off of you.

Thanks for everything.
I love you, Earth.

Samara

4 comments:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

The movie Earth looks great! Have you ever seen Baraka??? You will LOVE that also, so beautiful and peaceful. Great post!

Lis said...

TEAR, SNIFF! I LOVE THE EARTH TOO! If i had a yard, id TOTALLY planted some stuff!! TOTOALLY! Youre so EARTHSOME!!! GET IT??? GET ITTT??


SOrry, im tired.

SplendidlyImperfect said...

You'll have to let me know how the basil does. I've killed three already, boo. The aloe you won't have to move inside. I have a bunch in pots on my patio and they're thriving. I got a bumper crop of babies this year!

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

glad you got your herb garden going. That will taste so yummy!