Tuesday, May 24, 2011

{Tasty Tuesday: Spinach, Mushroom and Fontina Flat Bread Pizza}

I use so many recipes to do my cooking that I am actually proud of myself for
twisting this latest one around to make my own version of it. Baby steps. :)

I found an idea for quesadillas in Food Everyday that included salami, mushrooms,
and Fontina cheese with a side of lemony spinach. The idea (minus the salami for this
vegetarian) sunk it's hook into me, and I knew I had to make them.

But when I went to the grocery store closest to my house to shop for ingredients, they
didn't have any tortillas that were made without partially hydrogenated soybean oil. It
wasn't in my plan to run to a different store to find what I wanted that day.

So, I decided to use the same combination atop Greek mini flat breads that were made
with more natural ingredients. I served it with Spring Vegetable Soup, and together, it
was a really nice meal.



Ingredients:
olive oil, salt and pepper
thin slice of butter
mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bello and button)
red onion, sliced
fresh spinach
Montreal steak seasoning
5 slices of salami per pizza
Fontina cheese, grated
Flat bread
(I didn't use the lemon pictured below)



What to do with them:

Heat a little EVOO in a pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms, season
with Montreal steak seasoning and then break up your thin slice of butter and mix it in.
(The butter adds nutty richness.) Cook until tender and amazing. (These mushrooms,
even without the onions, make an awesome side to steaks or just about anything else.
They are so delicious.)

Get out your flatbreads and place them on baking sheet. Spread out five pieces of salami
on any of the pizzas you'd like. (I made one vegetarian for me and one with meat for D.)
Then, top with mushrooms ...


a layer of fresh spinach ...


and shredded Fontina cheese, which is so creamy and sensational that you'll probably
want a little extra in a side dish to enjoy while your flat bread pizzas are in the oven.


You can see more Tasty Tuesday ideas here ...

5 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

What a delicious looking pizza! I love flat bread but have never used it for pizza and now I'm wondering why. Thanks for sharing!

Kristi said...

This is SO up my alley!! Yum!

Shu Han said...

i'm often cooking for one, so this sounds like a great idea (:

Ale said...

Really nice work Sam! they look so good! We usually buy the dough for pizza already made. I think you can get it at Sprouts or Sunflower. Great recipe and really simple! Thanks!

Samara Link said...

Yes Alejandra, I buy it from Sprouts, too. This was just an alternative. But I love Sprouts dough, and at only $1.87, it's a bargain.