Thursday, January 13, 2011

{Resolutions: January 2011}

It's a new decade! I have big dreams for the next ten years of my life, but looking at it one
year at a time is much more manageable when it comes to resolutions, no?

LinkAdventure has been "my place" for recording new year resolutions for the past two
years. So, I thought I'd keep it going, if nothing else, to provide myself with accountability
and create a place for my personal record keeping.

I'm changing the "three monthly goals" resolution I made in '09 and '10. I've found that
three goals + life + other things I'm working on (not listed here) means my focus is pulled
in too many directions. Sometimes I have a hard time finishing things as completely as I'd
like to. I've been working on some exciting things for my professional life, strides that I
won't articulate here. Plus, I'm on a never ending quest to become the person I want to
be mentally and emotionally. C'est assez! With that in mind, I've simplified my resolutions
for the year ahead ... and I'm really excited about it.



In 2011, I will:
1) Make one new goal each month (fun or serious) that gives me a sense of balance.
2) Work on learning how to do things around the house. (See list below)
3) Volunteer, on average, once a month. (Donating blood every eight weeks-ish counts.)
4) Go on at least one quality date a month with David. (We're each going to plan a date
a month, which I'm wild-and-crazy happy about!)

Things around the house I want to learn how to do in 2011
that David normally takes care of:
- Clean up cookies and junk on my computers
- Unclog the kitchen drain/garbage disposal
- Turn off the water to the house
- Work the sprinklers and the drip system
- Add to the drip system
- Clean the pool filters
- Weekly/monthly pool care
- Drain and fill the pool
- Fertilize the lawn before summer
- Properly level and hang hardware fixture with a molly
- Change a door hardware and handle
- Relight the pilot light in the water heater

My monthly goal for January:
- Work on my blog by taking Elsie's Blog Love course and making some new pages.

I'd love to hear what resolutions you set for yourself or just what you're working on, in
general. Best wishes to all of you for a wonderful, fulfilling, balanced, and mentally healthy
year in 2011.

6 comments:

Ale said...

Hi Sam,

Very proud of you as always. I just don't understand why would you want to learn to do stuff that a)D already takes care of and b) they don't sound fun at all! haha!
I have to confess that whatever Henry is doing already around the apartment is scratched from my to do/to learn list forever haha!
I am still thinking on what goals I have for this year. I will share with you as soon as I get them in my mind!

Jeff Mitchell said...

Sam - We need a Facebook "Like" feature for this post. Haha. Great stuff!

TruJen Phtography said...

I think the change to your monthly resolutions is a fantastic idea! And also your house list addition is a great one too!

On one hand I agree with Ale, why would you need to learn how to do all the stuff that D can do but then again, he's not always around when it needs to be done, right?! So... YOU GO GIRL! When you're done learning one you can teach the rest of us!

Great post! (First resolution I've read in months. Sorry. It's been my loss!)

House of Foodies said...

Good for you for putting these in writing. That was our goal this year as well...write them down. I have our 'post' all ready to go, just waiting on Jason's. Gavin and I each have our own. J said I would have his this weekend, we'll see.

Unknown said...

Love Elsie's course!

elizabeth said...

good luck with your resolutions Sam!! I think it's great that you want to learn the stuff that David normally does -- I always make Adam teach me how to do that type of maintenance stuff too.