Monday, August 09, 2010

{Two Dinner Ideas}

Just coming up with an idea of what to make for dinner is sometimes the hardest part for
me. On the days when it takes me too long to decide, I feel like I run out of time to get to
the store and cook. So, I like to have a few ideas at the ready. Here are two things I made
recently and really enjoyed.

Rice Noodle Bowl with Broccoli and Bell Peppers.
Chinese Food at Home without heavy oil and MSG.
Source: Vegetarian Times.
Idea: You could add chicken or flat iron steak.



INGREDIENTS:
half a box of dried rice noodles, broken into thirds
2 Tbl. low sodium soy
3 tsp. rice vinegar
3 tsp. sugar
3 tsp. chili sauce, or to taste
extra virgin olive oil
half of a onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 crowns of broccoli, into florets
2-3 red bell peppers
A few Tablespoons of chopped, roasted peanuts

HOW TO:
In medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add broken noodles. Remove from heat, and let
stand for 5-7 minutes or until noodles are hydrated. Drain and discard water.

Whisk together the ingredients for your sauce in a small bowl: soy, rice vinegar, sugar, chili
sauce, and 1/4 cup water. Set aside.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, stir fry for one minute.
Add bell pepper and broccoli, cook for one minute more. (I use extra veg. So, I give this
step about three minutes.) Add sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and cook one minute more,
or until vegetables are tender. Stir in noodles. Serve sprinkled with roasted peanuts, if
using.

*************************************************************

Artichoke Pesto Pasta (With or Without Chicken)
I'm a big fan of this meal. Hearty but healthy.
Source: Kim Mahr's blog
Recipe: Click here

She goes to Trader Joe's for all the ingredients to this dish, as do I. Last time I made this,
I learned they don't carry the Lemon-Artichoke Pesto anymore. So, I bought regular
pesto, a lemon and an extra can of artichokes. I mixed the can of artichokes (drained)
and the juice and zest of a lemon in the food processor. Combined in with everything else,
the flavor was excellent. If you don't have a TJ's near by (I'm thinking of my Lansing
people), you can totally get everything you need for this at your regular grocery store.
Oh, also, I do about half the arugula that it calls for, and as you can see here, it's plenty.



I love meals like this because David can easily add chicken if he wants it, but it's still
vegetarian for me. What foods are you into right now?

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

these both look really good! love that you added ideas too. :)